The mill was constructed ca. 1855 to grind grain. It was constructed of local brick and situated on the banks of the Flat Rock River. It was variously known by the name of the current miller, but is most often called the Charles Mill.

In the early 1950's, the property was purchased by Major Jester. Throughout his life time, Major Jester had been collecting fine paneling, lighting fixtures, mantel pieces and marble. He used them all in the restoration of the mill which he transformed into a luxurious home complete with a black and white marble foyer, a curved staircase, exquisitely carved mantels, marble window sills and most importantly views up and down the Flat Rock River